This week is Music Week at the Jackson Madison County Libraries for the Summer Reading Programs. Don’t forget that June 17th is the last day to sign up for the reading clubs and get your reading logs for kids/teens and bingo cards for adults!
Here are the events for this week:
- Monday June 15, 2pm. Musical Instruments Craft. Come and make some musical instruments at the library! Pre-registration required, sign up at the front desk beginning June 3. Little Friends Room. Ages 5 and up.
- Monday June 15, 5pm. Art Class with Mr. Poppelaars! Little Friends Room. Ages: 6-12.
- Monday June 15, 5:30pm. Being Creative with Healthy Living. Join us as we welcome Madison County Extensions and learn about healthy nutrition and living a healthy lifestyle in week 3 of this series! Try samples and participate in activities! Program Center. Tween, teens and their families are welcome to attend.
- Tuesday June 16, 9:30am. School Age Storytime.
- Tuesday June 16, 10:30am. Preschool Storytime.
- Tuesday June 16, 2pm. Art Class with Mr. Poppelaars! Little Friends Room. Ages 6-12.
- Wednesday June 17, 2:30pm. The Jackson Symphony Youth Orchestra. Let’s welcome members of the Jackson Symphony Youth Orchestra as they demonstrate musical instruments and talk about music. Program Center. All ages welcome.
- Wednesday, June 17. Last Day to Register for Reading Logs. Today is the last day to register for reading logs!
- Thursday June 18, 10:30am. Musical Instruments Craft. Come and make some musical instruments at the library! Pre-registration required, sign up at the front desk beginning June 3. Little Friends Room. Ages 5 and up.
- Friday June 19, 9:30am. Reading with Red. Join Red, the Red Robin mascot as he and his friend read stories! After you listen to 10 stories, you’ll receive a certificate for a kids meal at Red Robin. All kids welcome.
- Friday June 19, 10:30am. Preschool Storytime.
- Friday June 19, 2:30pm. Paint/Draw to Music. Draw or paint what the music makes you feel. What will your emotions look like? Little Friends Room. Tweens & Teens.
- Saturday June 20, 2pm. Family “Name that Tune” and “Guess that Movie.” Bring the whole family out and test your music and movie knowledge! Program Center. Ages: The whole family!!
- Tuesday & Wednesday June 16-17, 11am. Preschool Storytime. It is MUSIC WEEK! We will read books about music and make some musical instruments. Ages 3-5.
Check out these great activities you can do at home!
Match the Instruments: Print out this worksheet and practice letter knowledge as they match the pictures to the letter they begin with.
Music Makers Word Search: Print out this word search and find the names of many types of instruments!
Find the Hidden Instruments: Print out this game and search for the hidden instruments in the picture.
Rhythm Rhymes: We are making musical instruments at the libraries this week, but here’s a fun activity you can do at home in addition or in lieu of those! This worksheet has instructions for a paper plate shaker and then a couple of nursery rhymes you can sing and jam with together!
Coloring Page: Print out this coloring page with a fun rhyme at the bottom.
Put on a family concert: Encourage the whole family to get together and let everyone sing a song. For added fun, make a stage and costumes out of things you find around the house! Are you feeling shy? Then turn on the radio or plug in your favorite tunes and lip sync!
Karaoke: If you have a machine, bring it out and have fun!
Watch a musical movie: Pick out your favorite musical for family movie night.
Make plans to see the Jackson Symphony or the Youth Symphony Orchestra. They do not have summer concerts planned, but try to see them in the fall! Check out their website: http://thejacksonsymphony.org.
Family Band: Use the musical instruments we made at the library, and other items found around the house for a rockin’ good time!
Have fun, and feel free to comment on the activities you enjoyed and suggest others!