This week is Arts & Crafts Week at the Jackson Madison County Libraries for the Summer Reading Programs.
Reminder: June 27 is the deadline for the Book Trailer Contest for Tweens and Teens. Click here for more information on this event!
Check out this week’s events!
- Monday June 22, 2pm. Hand Puppet Craft. Stop by and make some nifty hand puppets to play with at home! Pre-registration required, sign up at the front desk beginning June 3. Little Friends Room. Ages 5 and up.
- Monday June 22, 5pm. Art Class with Mr. Poppelaars! Little Friends Room. Ages: 6-12.
- Monday June 22, 5:30pm. Being Creative with Healthy Living. Join us as we welcome Madison County Extensions and learn about healthy nutrition and living a healthy lifestyle in week 4 of this series! Try samples and participate in activities! Program Center. Tween, teens and their families are welcome to attend.
- Tuesday June 23, 9:30am. School Age Storytime. This week we will read about colors and fingerpaint. Be sure to wear oldclothes! Little Friends Room. Ages: 6-8.
- Tuesday June 23, 10:30am. Preschool Storytime. This week we will read about colors and fingerpaint. Be srue to wear old clothes! Little Friends Room. Ages birth-5.
- Wednesday June 24, 2pm. NHECM Animal Show. Come see Mr. Tarter and his crew of exotic and invasive animals, including a Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pig, Nine-banded Armadillo, Chinese Ring-necked Pheasant, and Norwegian Rat. Learn more at http://www.nhecm.com. Program Center. Ages: All ages welcome.
- Thursday June 25, 10:30am. Hand Puppet Craft. Stop by and make some nifty hand puppets to play with at home! Pre-registration required, sign up at the front desk beginning June 3. Little Friends Room. Ages 5 and up.
- Thursday June 25, 2:30pm. Michelangelo Art Project. Learn about artist Michelangelo and then try your hand at painting lying on your back. Program Center. Tweens & Teens.
- Thursday June 25, 6pm. Pajama Storytime. Come to a cool storytime in your pajamas! Little Friends Room. All ages welcome.
- Friday June 26, 9:30 am. Reading with Red. Join Red, the Red Robin mascot as he and his friend read stories After you listen to 10 stories, you’ll receive a certificate for a kids meal at Red Robin. All kids welcome.
- Friday June 26, 10:30am. Preschool Storytime. This week we will read about colors and fingerpaint. Be sure to wear OLD clothes! Little Friends Room. Ages: 6-8.
- Wednesday June 24, 11am. Baby Sit & Sign. Join us as we read a story, sing some songs & dance while incorporating American Sign Language. Ages birth-2.
- Thursday June 25, 2pm & 4pm. School Age Storytime. Come prepared to create! Help us change our sidewalks into a fantastic new world… Ages 6-8.
- Friday June 26, 2pm. Tween Time: Flat Stanley. Where in the world is Flat Stanley now? Where will you take him? You and Stanley can write your adventure. Ages 9-12.
Whew, that’s a busy week at the libraries Here are some fun activities to do at home.
Go Green Word Search: Print out this word search and look for different shades of green.
Patchwork Quilt Paper Craft: Click on the link to see instruction on how to make a patchwork quilt, but out of construction paper.
Visit the Main Library and walk down the Hall of Art: The Library received a grant from the National Endowment of the Arts and American Library Association. We are currently displaying a number of famous art prints by American artists. Stop by the Main Library during normal operating hours and check them out.
Cool Collages: Pull out random things around the house and make a cool collage! Old newspapers, magazines, and tissue paper make great collage items.
Paper Weaving Project: Check out this neat craft where you weave paper to make a mat. There is also several other paper projects linked on this page that look fun too!
Get some sidewalk art and turn you driveway into a new world.
Go on a road trip and visit the Frist Center for the Visual Arts in Nashville. It’s a ways off, but their next Free Family Day is on Sunday, October 18 2009.
Have fun being artsy, and please share in the comments if you had a chance to try any of the above activities and what you thought or share more fun things to do this week!