Aaargh! This week we are kicking off our summer reading program with a Pirate Party on Wednesday, June 2 at 2pm at the Main Library. We hope you can come! Check out this week’s events at this post.
Be sure that you sign up for a reading club between June 2 and June 11! We have clubs for kids, teens and adults again this year and you can receive prizes for reading!
Looking for some fun things to do with your family at home? Try some of these ideas! Every Sunday we will be posting a new set of fun activities you can do at home!
This week’s activities are about Pirates and were taken from the 2010 Summer Reading Manual.
- Make a Toy Boat! This easy and fun craft uses materials you probably already have around the house!
- Balloon Powered Boats. This is a bit more elaborate, but still fun!
- Island Hidden Pictures. Print out this worksheet and search for the hidden items within the picture. (Here’s the Island Hidden Pictures Answer Key is f you need it.)
- Aaargh! Make a Pirate Face using this template.
- Learn to Talk Like a Pirate! Head over to www.talklikeapirate.com where you can print some vocabulary sheets for pirate speak, or even learn your pirate name with the pirate name generator. (Note, parents may want to edit words for age appropriateness.) Or, here is the link for “Junior Pirate” activities.
PS–Confused as to what the Summer Reading Program is? Read all about it here.